Bamidele Isaac Itunuoluwa is a distinguished academic and nonprofit leader with extensive experience in the Education field, locally and globally. He has made significant contributions to the academic and nonprofit sectors through his relentless interventions, dedication, and passion for making a difference. In addition to his academic achievements, Itunuoluwa is a prominent leader in the nonprofit sector. He has demonstrated remarkable skills in strategizing, organizing, and managing nonprofit initiatives, he is the founder and CEO, Giddy2School Nigeria; a nonprofit organization that provides educational support and interventions to every child, most especially in low-income communities of Nigeria. Through his visionary leadership, he has successfully implemented impactful programs and projects that have positively impacted thousands of lives of many professionals and communities most especially in the education sector. He actively engages in initiatives aimed at addressing societal issues and uplifting marginalized communities. Through his advocacy work, he strives to create a more equitable and inclusive society for all.
I schooled in a small village nestled among rolling hills; there existed humble schoolhouses. Its walls were weathered, and the desks and walls were worn from years of eager students carving their names into them. In this bygone era, education was a simpler affair. Students learned from textbooks and relied on their teachers for knowledge. It was a time when the world seemed vast, and information was a treasure hidden in the pages of books.
The dedicated teachers diligently imparted their wisdom to the children of the village. They carefully wrote on the chalkboard, explaining the mysteries of mathematics, science, art, and grammar. The students listened intently, their minds absorbing every word, eager to gain knowledge and make their mark in the world. But as the years passed, the world began to change. Technological advancements started to reshape every aspect of our lives, and education was no exception. International efforts have currently emerged full-blown to harness the power of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and transform education on a global scale. And it has come to stay.
This wind of change is expected to reach every nook and cranny. New educational algorithms are being introduced and imbibed. The old schoolhouse underwent a remarkable transformation. Gone were the dusty chalkboards, replaced by interactive digital screens that responded to the touch of a finger. The worn-out desks were replaced with sleek tablets, brimming with digital textbooks and educational apps.
The villagers witnessed a fascinating spectacle as the children, now equipped with the latest technology, embraced a whole new way of learning. The AI-powered virtual assistants became their constant companions, patiently answering questions and providing personalized guidance. The world, which had once seemed distant and inaccessible, was now at their fingertips.
The students reveled in the possibilities that AI brought to their education. They explored virtual reality simulations, taking them on immersive journeys through history, science, and art. The AI algorithms analyzed their learning patterns, identifying areas of strengths and weaknesses, and tailoring lessons to suit their individual needs. No child was left behind, as AI ensured equitable access to quality education for all.
The teacher, however, as negating to her previous position, being the compendium of knowledge, now became a guide and mentor in this brave new world. She adapted to the changing times, embracing AI as a valuable tool in her teaching arsenal. She personalized her lessons, combining the human touch with the power of technology. She fostered critical thinking, creativity, and collaboration, knowing that these skills would be invaluable in the age of AI.
Across the globe, similar transformations were taking place. International collaborations ensured that every child, regardless of their location or background, had access to cutting-edge educational resources. Emphasis has to be placed on this because low-income communities stand a big chance of being heavily marginalized in the quest to transform the world’s education into a digitalized affair. Boundaries were dissolved as students connected with peers from different countries, exchanging ideas and broadening their horizons. Education in the age of AI became a transformative force, empowering the next generation to dream big and achieve even more significant academic feats. The villages and towns, once isolated, now thrive in a world that celebrated knowledge, innovation, and progress.
As the sun set over the village, casting a warm glow on the new schoolhouse, the echoes of the past mingled with the promises of the future. Education had evolved, bridging the gap between generations, and embracing the limitless potential of AI. And as the children eagerly embarked on their educational journeys, they knew that the world was theirs to shape and conquer.
This is the reality of the future, a future that’s already begun. What our ideal education would be like after the arrant transformation through technology had deeply taken effect. The education community however needs to steadily and vigorously cultivate a growth mindset, we all have to build a ready mind and set hands, because those who evolve with the waves of change will remain relevant, and those who do not will become redundant, having become void of crucial skillset and know-how for operations in the current system. It is particularly exciting to have listed here some of the current AI tools used in the education sector as presented by developers of AI capabilities. These include but are not limited to the following;
- Intelligent Tutoring Systems (ITS): Intelligent tutoring systems use Al to personalize learning for students. These systems provide students with interactive and customized learning experiences. ITS uses data analytics to evaluate student performance and identify knowledge gaps. Based on this data, ITS provides targeted feedback and interventions to help students master critical concepts.
- Automated Essay Scoring: Automated essay scoring uses natural language processing to evaluate student essays accurately. Teachers can use this tool to grade essays quickly and efficiently, freeing up time for other instructional tasks. Additionally, automated essay scoring can provide students with immediate feedback on writing assignments, helping them develop their writing skills.
- Adaptive Learning Software: Adaptive learning software uses Al to personalize learning experiences for individual students. This tool evaluates each student’s learning behavior and provides tailored exercises to help them master critical concepts. Additionally, adaptive learning software can help identify students who are struggling with specific topics, allowing teachers to intervene early and provide targeted assistance.
- Chatbot Assistants: Chatbot assistants use natural language processing to interact with students and provide them with immediate assistance. Teachers can integrate chatbots into their instructional practice to help students with queries outside of classroom hours. Chatbots can provide students with real-time answers to frequently asked questions, leaving teachers with more time to focus on lesson planning.
- Learning Analytics: Learning analytics uses Al to collect and analyze data on student learning. Teachers can use learning analytics to evaluate student engagement, comprehension, and performance. The data generated by learning analytics can help teachers identify areas where students are struggling, optimize lesson delivery, and develop targeted interventions.
The future of education is truly limitless in the eyes of AI, and the excitement of ease they bring to the turf of work cannot be overemphasized. Technological advancements and AI inclusion in education have numerous advantages, some of which includes; quality learning engagements in the classrooms, personalized learning experiences for student, time-saving and efficiency, for instance, the grading and assessment tools, encouraging real-time feedback for students, enhances data analysis and insights into teaching practices, allows targeted interventions and support for struggling students, and many more.
Al-powered tools are transforming the field of education by providing teachers with designs that enhance instructional practices and pedagogy. These tools can help teachers optimize lesson delivery, personalize learning experiences, and evaluate students’ performance. With their integration, teachers can create engaging, effective, and accessible learning experiences that prepare students for success in the 21st century. It is however not negotiable, that a sustainable future for education is clearly seen through the eyes of AI, and this must be accompanied by enthusiastic collaborations and creativity of academicians.